Gina B explains how:
- Ensure that your hair is clean and shiny. (If not, wash it). Comb and remove any tangles from your hair. If you have flyaways, use a smoothing cream of choice to settle the hair before braiding, Gina B Beauty suggests using: Tigi Candy Fixations Glaze Haze Smoothing Hair Serum – 60ml . If you don’t want to go through this, you can just brush out all the tangles with Gina B Beauty suggests using: Tangle Teaser at £10.99 from Boots.
- Divide your hair into two large sections, straight down the middle of your hair. Decide which direction you’ll weave; you can weave from right to left or left to right, depending on whatever feels most comfortable.
- Pull a thin strand of hair from the outside of the first section. Pull this strand over the first section, and add it under the second section on the other side. In other words, the strand of hair has gone over the first section and finishes under the second section
- The skinnier the strand you use, the more intricate the braid will look; it takes more effort but it looks the most effective. In general, try to use the same thickness for each strand throughout or your braid will look uneven. For a beginner, pulling it tighter helps you to learn the method properly.
- The fishtail braid can be as neat or as messy as you’d like, depending on the occasion. Doing the fishtail braid while your hair is wet will give it a firmer grip, creating a more precise braid.
- Do the same for the other side. Pull a skinny strand of hair out from the outside of the second section and over this section, then weave it under the first section. Make it as loose or as tight as you want it to be, remembering that the tighter method is easier for beginners.
- Keep repeating the steps until you reach the end of your hair’s length.
- Finish the fishtail braid off by tying your hair with a hair bobble or elastic. Gina B Beauty Tip to add a touch of personality is to accessorize with a cute ribbon, barrette or charm to give it some of your own individuality if you’d like!
- If you feel that the fishtail is too tight, use your fingers to gently massage into the strands a little to loosen the fishtail slightly.
10.If your hair is really long, more can be done at this stage, such as tucking the hair into a bun, weaving it around your head or across the front, etc. If you have slightly shorter hair, just fishtail it as far as you want.