At only 24, UK Beatbox Champion Zani is already a veteran on the scene. He has excelled at this vocal acrobatic art form with 9 years experience, supporting the likes of Ludacris, 50 Cent, Missy Elliot and Taylor Swift and with performances around the world and on prestigious stages at Madison Square Garden, and Glastonbury to name a few who would be better placed to teach Flavour’s readers how to beat box.
Check out MC Zani’s beatboxing tips:
1. Be original. There are so many beatboxers nowadays that it’s easy to be easily influenced by their styles and copy what they do. A good beatboxer should be able to be original and use other beatboxers styles to become different!
2. Practice. This is exactly what it says..practice makes perfect. Beatboxing is all about repetition and muscle memory, a beatboxer should be able to do a sound and keep doing it with exactly the same execution and clarity.
3. Be Diverse. Even tho beatboxing is associated with hip hop, it transcends genre’s so be diverse and use different musical backgrounds when creating beats eg. drum and bass, dubstep, hiphop, classical, rock, asian music etc
4. Experiment. As a beatboxer you have to explore every angle of music and experiment with sounds and your voice. Don’t feel uncomfortable trying new sounds. They may sound bad at first but once you fine tune the positioning and practice it will sound great.
5. Have fun..beatboxing is one of the most fun things to do. You can do it anywhere, anytime and the greatest thing is that you don’t need to carry any equipment around.
MC Zani is a winner of the Vauxhall Beatbox Championships. If you would like to follow in his footsteps and that of previous winners, Beardyman and Reeps One, check out www.vauxhallbeatboxchamps.co.uk to find out how to enter and win a new set of wheels. Just be ready to rock the building and rev up the crowd with those beats and rhythms.
Date – Saturday 11th June 2011
Venue – O2 Academy Islington, London
Time – 6pm
Judges – Judges Ezra, Bellatrix – World Women’s Champion, MC Zani – 2008 UK Beatbox Champion, DJs Ill Commotion
Host – Stig of the Dump
Music on the night from The Bioncologists – Exra & L.O.S, DJ Switch – 3 x DMC World Champion, MC Zander
Tickets – www.ticketweb.co.uk