Many men suffer from shaving related irritation. Whether it appears in the form of razor burn, bumps, rash, or red patchiness these symptoms are unsightly and definitely uncomfortable. Often these symptoms are just put up with as normal or even ignored. However there are some simple steps that can be followed for relief. If you follow these tips below you’ll find yourself feeling and looking better than ever.
- Before you shave prepare your skin. If at all possible shower beforehand but if that is not possible wash your skin with a gentle face wash or scrub.
- Once you step out of the shower or finish washing apply a small amount of pre-shave oil over the beard area. This will insure that your face and hair will continue to be hydrated before and during the shave.
- Use a good quality shaving cream that can be applied with a shaving brush such as The Bluebeards Revenge, Truefitt & Hill, Taylor of Old Bond Street or Geo. F. Trumpers. Specially formulated to be gentle to the skin and safe for the environment, these creams also contain no propellants that can actually dry out the skin and cause irritation.
- Very importantly use a clean sharp blade, if you use a dull blade it can lead to pulling, excessive pressure, irritation and razor burn!
- Last but certainly not least finish off with a good quality aftershave balm. The balm will nourish, protect and hydrate the skin keeping it safe from outside irritants plus reducing or eliminating any affects from the shave.
If nothing else remember these three easy words: Prepare, Shave, Protect. These three words can easily summarize the above steps and can lead to you that smooth, irritation free shave.
The Shaving Shack’s Grooming Expert